A Lifetime of Clarity

Let me take a break from my weight…..

I’m going to blog on something I have down pact. My facial skin care routine. I don’t want it to sound like I’m bragging but it really works for me. The funny thing is I came up with this regimen when I was a teenager and it still works! The reason it occurred to me to blog about it is someone asked me what type of foundation I used this morning. When I said I don’t wear makeup the look of shock was funny to me. So I’m gonna share with those that are interested.

First of all you gotta understand that I am trying to eradicate Laurel Sulfate and it’s derivatives from my life. Look here. I have noticed that my eczema doesn’t act up so severely when I’m avoiding it. I have noticed that there is a lot that triggers skin reactions in me. That is another blog. And one I see coming soon. But I digress. SLS appears in a LOT of products. It provides the sudsing action. So that’s every shampoo, dishwashing liquid, soap, hair products, toothpaste, facial cleanser, damn near everything has SLS in it. Not a good look. And it is very dangerous. Y’all need to stop thinking the government gives a crap about you.

Another thing that I’m mindful of is the use of tallow or animal products in my products. I don’t understand why we as a Nation will stand and should loudly proclaim that we will consume no pork but never check to see if the pig is sneaking into other products. Soaps come from lye. Lye comes from fat. Animal fat is cheaper than vegetable fat. Read the labels.

Okay. I’ve explained my reasoning to a point. There is more, but I wanna get down to things. I wash my face with Noxzema. Been using it for years, months, and days. Not the soapy stuff. The medicated creamy stuff. Love It!!!! I rinse my face off and put it on and allow it to sit a while. I brush my teeth and such. I use one of those face brushes that you can get from anywhere. I get mine from Sallys. And I brush my Noxzema soaked face with it. And rinse off. I love the stuff because it doesn’t dry your skin and if you press your nose, nothing comes out. It can be used all year long and you don’t have to send out a search party to find it.

Once or twice a week, I add baking soda to the scrub mix. After applying the Noxzema, I put some baking soda in my hands and use my fingers to rub the hell out of my face. This give you a natural and gentle microdermabrasion. I rub until I’m red. Yes dark skinned girls can get red too. You cannot do this more than twice a week. And I think twice a week is excessive, but you gotta figure out what works for you.

If I need to tone, because maybe the T-zone is tripping or I just want to feel fresh. I use witch hazel. Why? My grandmother used it and she had the same eczema I have and even more vanity. I don’t feel like you need to strip skin down like that every day, but some days are oilier than others depending on what the moon is doing. Witch hazel is not as drying as alcohol based products like Sebreeaze. A college suitemate of mine once permanently scarred her face using Sebreeaze. I saw this with my own eyes.

And this is the suspect part of my routine… Ambi! I know it’s a fade cream. And I should not want to fade my skin. And it should only be used sporadically. Whatever. Its fade cream not bleaching cream. I have been using it for over 20 years and I’m still the same color. I use this joint every-damn-day! It is heavy enough to protect my skin through the harshest of winters when other folks go outdoors with Vaseline on their faces. And it works. I have no blemishes on my face at all. I get a pimple, maybe two, when the moon in upon me. But they don’t just up and go away. They leave marks. How to you think those marks get gone? Ambi baby! Artra if you can’t find Ambi. They should pay me to be the spokesperson. The only problem with Ambi/Artra is …. I use it in the summer. It’s very thick and viscous. The addition of sweat in the summer makes it slimy on the skin. In the summer (and I already know this is bad) I just don’t use anything. I suppose I should be using sunscreen but I haven’t bought into that just yet. I’m naturally heavily melaninated and whereas I don’t actively avoid the sun, I don’t worship it either. I’m good.

Just in case no one ever told you this… When you pass the 30 mark, you need to use a night product. Seriously. For some reason them jokers are expensive and they need not to be. I use one of either two products. Ponds cold cream is one. My grandmother used to slather that stuff on all the time. She did have soft skin up until she returned to the essence. Real soft. I figure it can’t hurt. Also I have a homemade product that works a minor miracle. Equal amounts of olive, peanut and castor oils. That does something for the skin for real, but it can be a little on the greasy side and you have to be prepared for it. I use this when my skin is acting up for some reason. Calms it down after a weeks use. Oh and I put this on when I fly. Planes are NOTORIOUS for jacking my skin up.

Well that’s it. Noxzema with a dedicated brush, baking soda, witch hazel, Ambi/Artra and a night product. This works for me whether I’m drinking the water or not. Water will give me a glow though. Over the years I have bought more expensive products. Peer pressure. My friends are all using Clinique or Philosophy or whatever. My routine seemed childish. But I always come back. Now I’m sold on it. I’m hovering around 40 yet get mistaken for 20-something? You do the math.


Peace

Comments

I have been searching for a skin routine and found that Noxzema really does work!! I've found that except for around my moon time or ovulation, I am pimple free. I'm going to try out the Ambi too because I do need something to help me clear some of the dark marks left over from pimples. Thanks for this!
Bootzey said…
You are welcome!

I stand on Ambi face cream. The bar soap smells good but it has SLS. And don't be afraid to use the Ambi for dry skin. I don't have dry skin, if anything it's combination, but that dry skin Ambi/Artra is the truth!

Popular posts from this blog

Backsliding on Home

"I Itch"

Skirting the Issue