Being the Change

Peace.

I finished my liquid fast... or fast from food. And all was good. I initially planned to only fast for 2 weeks and spend all of March “raw” or at least “high raw.” But my plans changed. I decided to go on and fast the full 3 weeks like I normally do. I felt really strong at the end of 2 weeks and considered how much more healing my body could do. Ra Un Nefer Amen has a book called Healing the Error of Living. And though I own the book, I like the title better. That's what I planned to do. I'm not sure how much healing I accomplished, I do know I felt like I was starving. I mean I was HUNGRY... distracted kind of hungry. It didn't help that I got disgusted with everything I had to drink. I didn't want fresh juice, water or smoothies... I just wanted food! Additionally, I got sick. I've never gotten sick outside of detox on a fast before. It was a sinus thing that dropped me on my ass for 4 days. I don't think I ever had that type of response to fasting before. I should have trusted my intuition and fasted only 2 weeks.

The enemas didn't go as planned. I realized I am neither limber or double jointed enough to administer an enema to myself. I tried several times and all I accomplished was to make a mess in the bathroom and poke a hole in my anus. Not a good look on ANY front. So I contented myself with oral laxatives; magnesium citrate in particular. I developed a fondness for the grape.... Those are VERY cleansing and very fast acting. Still no colonic... I'm going to have to get over a lot of personal space issues before I do that.

I broke my fast with a salad. Even though that's how you should break a fast, I was fiending for salads the entire time. What a thing to want??? I particularly wanted a breakfast salad that you get from Racetrack gas station in Mableton, GA. Yes it was a salad... It was NOT healthy or raw; but it was delicious. It has eggs (or egg like food), potatoes, beans, queso, lettuce, tomatoes, cooked onions, sour cream, pico and some kind of dressing. I used to get one every Friday morning after my 5k runs. It motivated me to get up on a Friday and not just slug around the house, which I will do if allowed. That salad gave me the itis and I fell asleep for 3 hours after eating it. Apparently my stomach's on switch hadn't flipped back on.... For dinner I got a healthier, closer to raw salad from Whole Foods, and some tofu, but I didn't eat the salad. I was still full from breakfast. I did eat the tofu. I got a small amount. Whole Foods is hella expensive. I ate the salad on Monday for lunch. Yesterday, I managed to eat 100% Raw all day. I also drank all the water. I'm proud of that.

As I look at healthy eating, fitness, yoga, etc. blogs or instagram I rarely see blogs where people look like me. I KNOW Black people are into health because I know Black people who eat like I do. Black people do yoga because I see Black people in yoga classes and I know Black people who teach yoga. I know Black people who run, because I see them. There were hundreds of Black people running the HBCU race I ran. And Black Girls Run have chapters all over the country. I know Black people eat “Raw” or “Raw Vegan.” But it's hard to find blogs that report their progress. If half the Black vegetarians or Black runners or Black whatever kept active blogs, we could really be a community that supports each other. I often feel all alone in my efforts and even though there are white people doing what I'm doing.... I'd prefer to interact with other Black people. Not because I'm racist (I can't be based on the definition of the word itself) but because I'd prefer to not have to explain myself to people. And regardless of what white people might say to me, I have to run it through my “are-they-being-racist” filter. That's exhausting. Yes I learn a lot from white people. Probably most to all of what I know about “raw” eating has come from the information white people have put online.... I just really would like to see my own people express this lifestyle.

So..... I am going to be the change I want to see. This blog is already a healthy blog, but I am going to be posting more of what I'm eating, how I'm training and so on. I'll be a Black health blogger. I just don't want to be the ONLY one.

And when y'all start your blogs... or locate other Healthy Black blogs let me know. I will follow!!!!



Peace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Backsliding on Home

"I Itch"

Skirting the Issue