May 2013 Challenge


Peace.

Last month I undertook a new challenge. Y'all know I like a good monthly challenge... If it works, YAY for me I have a new modality. If it doesn't... oh well only 28-31 days of it. I know y'all sick of hearing about the day in day out struggles of my various challenges so I keep it to the unveiling and finishing unless I'm having some problem with it.

May's challenge was a bit rocky, but I gave up dairy, tofu and eggs. The rationale behind that was to get at my fibroids by reducing my estrogen dominance through holistic modalities. I'm a long term vegetarian and changes to my diet is tricky simply because it's already restricted. For example, I can't do the no carb thing because I wouldn't have anything to eat. Can't do paleo without meat. So I take changes to my diet very cautiously. And dairy, tofu and eggs is a big part of my diet.

Well, once I got used to it, I found it not that bad. It was doable. Physically, I felt less bloated. My runs were better (I kind of blame that on the book Born to Run) and my cycle was significantly less painful.

Since the challenge was completed, I went to Whole Foods yesterday and got some chicken fried tofu... my favorite! It was good, but the tofu taste in my mouth was off. Like the tofu was kinda nasty to me. I tried a bunch of different pieces; large, small, more cooked, less cooked and it was the same. The taste was off for me. The texture of the tofu was gooey and the flavor tasted sour. didn't stop me from eating it, though.

So what did I learn from May 2013 Challenge? Yes, dairy eggs and tofu can cause some bloating and menstrual discomfort. Yes I can live without it. Do I want to, though? I guess. I'd be crazy to do something to myself that I know would make me ill in the long run for momentary satisfaction. But I enjoy my cheese.... So. What I am planning to do is continue to stay away from these products but on special occasions allow myself to indulge. That seems like Equality.

The June 2013 challenge is to significantly increase my water intake.



Peace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Backsliding on Home

"I Itch"

Skirting the Issue