Ancestor's Kitchen



Peace.

I hate when I am looking for more information on a natural/holistic modality and the only thing you can find on the internet is some pay information. I only pay for what I choose to pay for. And that information is suspect anyway. Too many of us have bought into the philosophy of the devil; selling something that should be free. Well, my mother always says to be the change you want to see....

I am reading the book "The City of Wellness: Restoring Your Health Through the Seven Kitchens of Consciousness" by Queen Afua. I was looking to see what types of experiences folks are having with this book. There is no free information online... until now. Now short of Word is Bonding another challenge that I know I'm not going to want to complete I will say that I will do a bit of Building with what I read, do (because it is a workbook kind of) and the results. Don't hold me to Building on the entire book.

Another thing I would like to see is some discussion on said book and it's philosophies. That's another things I couldn't find online.

I thought I read this book awhile ago. It came out in 2008. I remember going to a health foods store where the Queen was appearing. Notice I said appearing. She said very little. Her people spoke for her and sold this book. I bought it back then, at that event. You can tell I was caught up because the paperback is $28!I thought I read it. But I was talking with someone the other day and he was referencing the book and I had no clue what he was talking about. So I realized that I needed to re-read this book.

I get why I probably skimmed the book on the 1st go round. It is essentially a cookbook with a bit of guilt thrown in for good measure. I can be irritated by that kind of writing. I'm a long term veg, who clean eats and I am really healthy but still over weight. I have a level of body acceptance that folks think I should not have. But why should I care what you think I should feel???? That being said, It's about eating the chicken and spitting out the bones. Or in our righteous language:Taking the best part.

The book Identifies 12 different types of "kitchens" and we all have one of these. The second half of the book is about transitioning from whatever kitchen you find your self to the ultimate"Liberation Kitchen of Consciousness." And there are recipes.

The 1st kitchen is the Ancestor Kitchen. It Builds on the Wisdom and relationships of people who didn't have fast food restaurants to eat from. When folks grew their own food and lived close to the Earth. I love that concept. So much in fact I am growing some things in my yard. I had planned a bigger garden than it is, but this weather and that soil has been working against me. But there are still farmers markets and collectives where I can get produce from so that I can feed my family healthy foods.

One thing I learned from my attempt at gardening is the concept of live foods. I get it now. Processed, refined and cooked meat is not a living type of food. When you eat something freshly picked you see that everything else is inferior. the Ayurvedic concept of sattva speaks on the purity of food based on how close it is to the Earth. Fresh picked corn or a tomato is fresh out of the garden is best. Homemade corn chips made from products you can vouch for is lust okay, but processed corn chips from the store is bad bad bad! And I don't disagree with this phenomenon. BUT....

Lives in 2013 are different from lives of my grand parents years. My grandmother grew a garden as big as the plot my house sits on. She made her own everything. she raised her own animals. Who has time for that? I have to work outside the home. It's not an option. So I cannot do all that she did. I have to find a middle ground between living that existence and my current life. Mama did not have student loans to pay back.

I think that is the part of that chapter that I find so distasteful. Yes Queen Afua healed herself and started her own empire. But the average person just doesn't have the time to dedicate to that lifestyle. And I don't have the $$$ (remember student loans) to pay someone to d it for me. So as always, I have to find my own way in recreating my ancestors kitchen. And that includes a lot of from-scratch cooking. I recognize that that type of food is healthier and I do what I can.

I'm hoping this book gets better.



Peace




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Backsliding on Home

"I Itch"

Skirting the Issue