This is Funny (and longer than I expected...)

Peace.

Peace.

Alright so I have to lose weight. I realize this now. I’m usually good with how I look. I don’t suffer from self esteem issues. But my clothes don’t fit. Yeah I can sew some more, or I can lose some weight. Plus, the back fat and the pooch that makes me look like I’m bearing are bothering me. Also, more than before, I have begun to smell like a fat girl. You know the fragrance. It comes from flash on flesh contact that leads to sweat. Bacteria live in said sweat and that’s where the smell comes from. Yeah… I have to change. So I have decided that raw fooding it is the way to go. And it’s a good thing I have been raw before. Otherwise, I would be lost.

There is way more information out there than it was when I 1st went raw in 2005. In 2005 there was only Alissa Cohen and some books with pretty pictures and ingredients I had never heard of. And Cohen’s book is only ½ recipe and ½ lifestyle explanations. I treat Cohen’s book like the Bible. But since I’m so familiar with it, I can venture out and make the online recipes work for me. Also, for any budding raw foodists out there, if you are serious about raw fooding, you MUST have all the equipment. You need a blender, dehydrator, food processor to start. Otherwise you will be eating salads and fruit. A juicer and a spiral slicer are nice, but you can wait on those. I got cheap stuff, which worked fine at the beginning, but now I have good stuff. I am on the hunt for a Vitamix. But since I have a good blender and processor I just can’t see the need for paying $300 for a cheap or used one. One of my righteous brothers once asked me if he could borrow my dehydrator. You can’t borrow people stuff. If you’re serious you have to say what I said…. “No my brother you have to get your own.”

I’m a little uncomfortable with the raw decision because I stay cold. Raw food is going to aggravate that. It always does. I know by adding hot peppers, ginger and onions to a dish will heat it up internally, I just don’t particularly care for those spices in the incarnation that would lead to such a reaction.

Another thing that has me lightly tripping is how much time is devoted to eating this way. I’m not rolling in dough. I make a modest living. Here in Atlanta, you can find pre-made raw food, but it’s expensive. Hella expensive. And you have to really drive to get it. That’s the nature of Atlanta. It’s all spread out. With gas over $3/gallon, I find the exertion unnecessarily unneeded. So I have to make my own food. I don’t want to sound like I’m completely bitching because I’m such a control freak I probably would make my own food if there was a cheap store on my street.

Raw food prep sounds easy to the uninitiated, but in practice it isn’t. I suppose it could be if I was to eat salads all day and 15 bananas and 8 oranges, but I’m not. Nuts are hella expensive and to find them raw means going to the co-op, whole Foods or farmers market. The YDFM is not inexpensive, like people think farmer’s markets are. I’m lucky that my preferred local supermarket normally has everything I need, but where they fall short is in selection. What ends up happening is when I go shopping; I’m out the entire day!

Then the prep is a trip. I am always thinking about what I have to cook. There is soaking, and marinating and sprouting and dehydrating, and fermenting…. It’s crazy. I made some granola a few days ago (it’s delicious btw) but I made it on Tuesday afternoon and it wasn’t ready to eat until late last night. Insanity. Kale chips take less time than granola, but when you’re used to just opening a bag for instant satisfaction it’s not the same.

So I’m stressed because I don’t want to want something that I can’t have it for at least 12 hours. Feel me? Also, I’m concerned about variety. I am not a person that can eat the same food every day. (I can’t wear the same clothes every day either. That’s why I stay away from jobs that make you wear uniforms) Like Monday: spaghetti, Tuesday: liver, Wednesday: chicken, and so forth. I have to have different food every week or I will get annoyed. I may not repeat a meal for a month. Even in my regular cooking life I need variety to the dismay of the God. If I get bored, I won’t cook. Cooking or uncooking should be fun. If it’s not I won’t do it.

So today finds me planning next week’s menu. I MUST plan because of the long prep time of dishes. Another thing that kills is I may make something like chips or cookies that took days hours and minutes to prepare, and it gets gobbled up in seconds. That’s a pisser right there. So that forces me to show some restraint.

So far, so good. I’m not 100% yet. I had 3 doubles on Monday and have eaten a boiled egg with my salads. I’d boiled the eggs before I got on the scale. Today is the last one and I’ll stop adding eggs to my salads. But that’s it. I’m already feeling stronger. I have noticed that I have something going on in my lower abdominal/pelvic area. Movement and sharp pains. No I am NOT pregnant. That was the 1st thing I checked. I’m thinking it’s my midsection’s way of adjusting to the new regime. I shall give it some time.

I was planning to be raw this year for a season. I guess the season is going to be longer than I initially planned.


Peace

Comments

Tracy said…
I just stubled across your blog by accident, but I wanted to comment on your hunt for a Vitamix. It is so worth the money. I've had mine for over 20 years and use it almost every day. On your raw quest smoothies from the Vitamix are great. I make a green drink with spinach, celery, apple,pear and carrots all dropped in whole and out comes the best tasting drink ever.
Bootzey said…
Persuasive argument but they are still starting at $300 on HSN or is it QVC. Either or... That's a car paymment!

Popular posts from this blog

Backsliding on Home

"I Itch"

Skirting the Issue