2013 Juice Fast!

Peace Y’all,

Today begins my annual 3 week juice fast. I have been doing this fast since 2002. I did take a year off. One year I didn’t diet at all. (I didn’t gain any weight either that year… go figure) But this is something that I do, and have done for 9 years.

I fast as preparation for the spring equinox. A lot of indigenous cultures around the world consider the spring equinox as their new year. And so do I. It is the Asiatic New Year! And in order to properly prepare for the event I fast.

Last night was a blast! I was in the kitchen just enjoying and eating any and everything I wanted and felt not the slightest bit of guilt. I had Kit Kats, Triscuts (that I really shouldn’t eat because they hurt my stomach sooooo bad I can’t sleep afterward. And I was up last night in pain), brussel sprouts, 4 cups of coffee cookies and a lot of other things I normally wouldn’t eat at once. I’m okay with that. Though this morning…. I don’t feel well. My stomach isn’t right. But I’m not worried about that. Fasting is the great re-booter. Remember the old adage? “Feed a fever, starve a cold.”

This morning I started with lemon water, then a cantaloupe/banana smoothie. Right now I’m sipping on some senna tea. Lets get the crap out of my belly and let detox begin. I’m a bit worried about the coffee detox. Last year I was vomiting for a few days. We shall see won’t we? I am often amazed at how clearheaded I get when I long term fast and how much I manage to get done. I got a crap load of housework done this morning all because I wasn’t trying to eat. I don’t know if it because I’m trying to distract myself or if eating take that much time.

The 7 doesn’t fast with me. He doesn’t have a good constitution for fasting. He’s a pitta, I’m a kapha. He doesn’t really cook outside of heating up. I love him enough to not want to see him starve. So I will continue to cook for him. He’s easy though. Lasagna, some beans… He will happily eat that over and over and over, and feel no shame for his lack of variety.

So my goals for this fast are… No coffee, no soda, a colonic (I really am not looking forward to that one…. Yick), and possibly a massage. I have issues, no subscriptions. One big one is, I don’t like strangers touching me. Last year I dyed my hair with henna. That was a damn mess, but it did work. I’m not doing that this year. I have some awesome orange fabric (as well as a lot of other awesome fabric) and I am planning some nice summer dresses. And when you take eating out of the picture you have time to do other things.

I am concerned about my running. Can I get enough calories in to make my runs meaningful? I ain’t trying to get 3 miles away from the house and pass out. I will go slow and play it by ear. This is prime training time. I want to be running in races by April 2013.

I’m not gonna be building every single one of these 21 days. I don’t need that to stay grounded anymore. I got this!


Peace!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Backsliding on Home

"I Itch"

Skirting the Issue