"Beef" Seitan

Peace y'all.

I never post any food pics. let's see how that goes....



You have to click on the image to see it correctly.

This is my "Beef" seitan. There is no beef in it and it qualifies as vegan. It is NOT gluten free. It is highly gluteny. The largest ingredient is vital wheat gluten. You can use this the same way you do a roast beef. Actually I have made chicken seitan and seitan sausage. The God loves it dressed up like pepper steak. So much in fact, I have to make this every week. I am kind of tired of it, but that just drives me to new ways to use this.

INGREDIENTS:

* 1.5 c. vital wheat gluten

* 1/4 c. nutritional yeast

* 1 . salt

* 2 t. paprika

* 1/4 t. cinnamon

* 1/4 t. cumin

* 1-2 t. pepper

* 1/8 t. cayenne pepper

* 1/8 t. allspice (I skipped this)

* 3/4 c. cold water

* 4 T. tomato paste

* 1 T. ketchup

* 2 T. olive oil (I used canola because I was out of olive oil)

* 2 T. vegetarian Worcestershire sauce (or soy sauce--I used soy because I had no Worcestershire)

* 1-3 cloves garlic, crushed well (I just sprinkled in garlic powder to taste)


DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 325°.

In a large mixing bowl mix dry ingredients. Mix the rest of the ingredients (liquid ingredients) in a smaller mixing bowl. Whisk well until mixed.

Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix well, then knead for several minutes.

Form into a log (6-8" long), wrap tightly in foil, twisting ends. Bake for 90 minutes. When done baking, unwrap and leave out to cool all the way. Then wrap it foil or plastic and refrigerate. Slice to use as desired.

That's the recipe from this site... http://yeahthatveganshit.blogspot.com/2007/04/infamous-seitan-recipe-o-greatness.html

I make it exactly like the say, except I use soy sauce and I throw everything in the blender from jump street.

It actually makes quite a big loaf. The God eats a lot and we can eat off this for a week with very little other stuff.

Enjoy. Don't be scared!


Peace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Backsliding on Home

"I Itch"

Skirting the Issue