Downward Facing Serenity......


I am frustrated y'all!!!! Arghh!!!! Here is the situation....

I have practiced yoga on and off (mostly off) since 2001. I see yoga as a gateway. If you know me enough to know my personal thoughts on things, I see that there are many paths to consciousness. Consciousness I define as being in a state of supreme bliss brought on by knowledge. There are many gate ways to this bliss. For me it was vegetarianism, for others its natural hair, others still yoga. Once in the corridor, one will come into the other truths given time and effort. The longer in, the more conscious one becomes. Simply because it's a process that builds. Not saying that someone old is a better person than a newbie. But longer folks have just had more time to marinate.

Back to my point.

I love yoga, but I find it's practice fraught with politics that I don't want to deal with. When I started practicing yoga, it was because I saw a class on TV and was intrigued. I tried to do some of the poses and bought a book. It was rough going at 1st but I stuck with it and eventually started to feel some positive effect in my body. I didn't get thinner (I never do no matter what), but I got stronger and my endurance improved. I have always been flexible so I didn't notice an increase in that, but I felt internal channels open up and I got very horny. Needless to say my 1st husband encouraged me to continue. And even bought me a series of classes. SMH.

Well as life continued to happen I got spotty with my practice, and became one of those people who used to do yoga. A few years ago, I decided to get back on the good foot and signed up for some classes. I bought a months unlimited package. But soon became disillusioned. You see, most of the classes I've ever been to or heard about, are in white neighborhoods, with white instructors and white students. Every time I went I was constantly being counselled (harassed) about this or that. And nothing had to do with my technique. That I would have welcomed. But had to do with what I wore (sweats) and my hair (braids) and my body (boobs). I'm not a blond haired, blue eyed, skinny colored woman, nor do I aspire to be one.I ain't buying that high priced stuff in their shops either. I was a big, black, ethnic interloper who was trying to thrust myself on them or non-verbally threatening them. When it came time to renew, it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Now I am easing back on the yoga trail. Why shouldn't I participate in this Original practice? But I'm back to doing things on my own and with my terms. Take that!

Here is my issue (one of many), yoga is currently very popular. The Internet is lousy with yoga. But none of the information is useful. Oh there are dvds, and clothes, and mats and gloves, and socks, and books and magazines and workshops and everything the hell else you can think of, but no clear cut information regarding the lifestyle. I want to immerse myself in it. Not just use it as exercise I do 3-5 times a week. I suppose I am going to have to tread my own path though this jungle.... like I have been all along. But it would be nice to have some real time or maybe virtual examples.

***Sigh***



Peace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Backsliding on Home

"I Itch"

Skirting the Issue