Me and My Hair

An Earth made the passing comment that we should go out for a day of pampering and get out locs done. Every since she said that, I have been deeply pondering if that would be something I'd be interested in.

I have had my locs since May of 2008. I said that I would lock my hair either when I turned 40 (which I'm not yet) or if something life altering happened. My father died March 1, 2008. That was life altering.

I have never had anyone to physically help me with my locs. I have had folks give me advice or have searched loc maintenance and styles. Prior to locing I had been natural since 2000. So it's not like I was starting with no hair. And I already had learned to care for my hair and wore my natural hair out all the time.

I became natural not because I got all enlightened and isht, but because I had a bad perm. I had had bad perms before but this one was major. I had become a vegetarian and I have always had a sensitive scalp and needed special attention. I became even more senitive when my diet changed. My NJ stylist knew exactly what perm to use and that I need heavy basing. I would base days in advance and stop manipulating my hair. I moved to GA in 2000 and didn't have a regular stylist. I took the recommendation of a friend and ended up burned completely around the hairline and several silver dollar sized open sores in my scalp that matted the hair into them. I waited 3 hours for the pleasure. I tried to tell the stylist my scalp story, but she told me she had a license and knew what she was doing. I did not have to pay for my last perm.

I wish there was a better reason for me going natural; but I do count it as one of the best decisions I ever made. Another reason I went natural is because I did not appreciate the way a Black woman is expected to wait in a hair salon. I have waited up to 5 hours before getting in the chair. I have had to take a day off work to get my hair done. I have had styles done that were so time consuming, I either had multiple people working on my head or was sent home after 10 hours to return the next day. I have even put my life in jeopardy to procure the funds necessary to get my hair done. It is funny to discuss but in actuality it's more sad than funny.

In 1996 I got a perm after not having one for 4 years, and I waited 8 hours before I got int he chair. I was there for so long I got in the shop's order for lunch. While I was sitting there I wondered what would life be like if I never sat in another beauty salon's waiting room. Hmmmm.... I was miserable, and completely unconnected to my hair. When I got my hair done, I got it done. I was devoted. I didn't even own shampoo. If I got caught in the rain or whatever, I went back. I ain't gonna lie, I'm vain. And hair is sitting on the top of my head. It can't be looking like who did it and ran. But I should be the best knower of my own head.

When I went natural, I did the braid route. It's easy to maintain if you never plan to be out of braids. I once went to the braider at 5 am because I had to be somewhere at 8. I was prepared to call folks and tell them not to expect me if my hair wasn't done. Eventually I gave up on braids. Actually braids gave up on me. My hair grew too long for reasonable priced brads which forced me to come up with a new solution. I found a braid stylist who had a great solution, but when I found out she charged me a much higher price for the same services than she did other folks, we parted company.

Finally when I was completely natural, and I mean out on my own without the assistance or influence of others, I learned my hair. I had to or cut it off. I learned its likes and dislikes. I have a different texture at the top (course) vs. the sides (curly). The top doesn't grow as fast as the sides either. It likes curl moisturizer but doesn't like activator or heat of any sort. It likes greasy type products but doesn't like lanolin, mineral oil or petroleum. If you put lotion in it it will drink it up and be crunchy. Crunchy is bad. If you use shea butter it will go all soft and detangle itself, but aloe will make it matt. It likes to be washed with vinegar. And if I drink a lot of water, it will grow. I feel like we are finally one. I don't want to give that up.

If I go to a loctition they will tighten it either by heat or by knots. Locs take a long time to dry so I know there will be heat involved. I can tell the loctition to not use heat but chances are if I do I'll either be asked to leave or my wishes will be ignored. Either way, I won't want to pay for that and that can go real ugly. I don't want to get to the place where I'm totally dependant on another to maintain my locs. It's so easy to fall into that pit.

I like that my locs are just that... mine! When folks tell me they like them (that's is if they ever get to see them) I can take full credit. So I'm thinking I'm not going to the salon with the Earth.




Peace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Backsliding on Home

"I Itch"

Skirting the Issue