Miss New-Bucha!

Peace.

I wrote a post about Kombucha. I had some. I loved it. Didn't love the price ($4/bottle). Made my own at home with moderate success, got lazy. Found a better, tastier, easier way to make kombucha. Smiling all over myself now!!!

My problem with how I was originally making it was I was over estimating how much I would want to drink it. I had a few bottles from Whole Foods and decided I wanted to drink 24 oz a day everyday, because that was the size of their bottles. No different that drinking a bottle of Coca Cola a day. But my tummy wasn't having that much on that regular a basis. I can drink maybe 8 oz twice a day, if I push it. And even that amount is enough to keep me running back and forth to the bathroom. I got a 2 gallon glass jug on it's own stand to brew kombucha in. I don't drink that much. Precise might drink 8 oz, but probably none at all. So all that brewed kombucha just went to waste.

Also brewing it the way I originally posted gave me a flat beverage. I like mine fizzy. I accidentally made too much. I had some bottles of kombucha that I had purchased from Whole Foods that had just a little bit of beverage inside. I pour my excess in the bottles, screwed the caps back on... tight... and left them. The beverage that came from those bottles was everything I had wanted from kombucha. It was a sweet, carbonated tea with a bit of kick. And it only took a week for it to brew!

I have a concern though. First the process is not aerobic. It's anaerobic. I have done many a google and found nothing that says brewing it this way is problematic. I have been drinking this type of kombucha for over 6 months and haven't had any problems with it. And my interest in it goes and comes. I'm striving to be very intuitive with food/beverage consumption. So if you try this... you're doing this at your own risk. I may be a doctor, but I'm not YOUR doctor.

So here is my new process.... (this implies that you already have the basics)

1. Obtain some old bottles that had living kombucha in it. The bottles can't have been washed. It needs to have a splash still at the bottom

2. Brew some strong... stronger than you think you might want... black tea

3. Make sure it has lots of sugar in it and by a lot I mean a lot more than you would normally put. Hunks and chunks

4. Let the tea cool to room temperature

5. Once cooled, pour into the old bottles. Don't fill to the tip top. Leave about a ½ half inch of oopen space at the top

6. Cap tight and sit in an undisturbed spot for at least 1 week.

Enjoy


Peace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Backsliding on Home

"I Itch"

Skirting the Issue