I did it!!!!!!

Peace.

I did it! I successfully completed a race!

It was a race to support HBCU’s. Although I don’t think any money went toward any HBCU’s. I think it was just an opportunity for alumni to rep their school and do something healthy in the process. I paid $25. I got a shirt but no medal. Oh well.

As with anything that our people do… It started a bit late. People were far too overdressed. And of course there was a party afterward. It was such a friends-and-family event. It looked like “old home week” in the line up. It was well attended (well over a 1000 people there) and I thoroughly enjoyed myself and plan to possibly run it again next year. Now on to the logistics….
That's my alma mater all front and center!

I’m not sure if this is how it’s done, but I didn’t get the race route until the day before the race. I wish I would have known that there were true hills in the race. I don’t run hills. I don’t like hills, therefore I avoid them. Had I known there were going to be hill, I would have trained for them. I walked the hills, but ran the straight aways and downhills. My PR (I have a PR!!!!!) was 58.55 minutes. I don’t believe it and let me tell you why…. They had the 5K runners cross the starting line and wait for a few minutes until the 10K runner got off. I stood there for about 10 minutes. And once I got moving… I never stopped. My goal was (a) to finish and (b) to finish between 40-50 minutes. I swear I did that according to my watch. But…… I’m not dwelling on it.
Why did my period start on Wednesday??? That meant… Saturday was a relatively heavy flow day for me. So I was running in panties, with a pad and a tampon, and in pain. My music player stopped working and refused to come back on until I was back at home. My legs were like lead and when I left the house at 6 in the morning, it was already 78* and very humid. I asked white jesus for rain, but it never came.

Precise also made fun of how I run. He said it wasn’t running but race walking. That is how I run! He might have something there because I was being lapped by walkers, kids, old people, people waaaaaaay bigger than me and people pushing strollers. Maybe I don’t run….

There was a lot going against me. So if you ask me if I’d do it again…. I’m not sure. I love to support any HBCU function. But if I’m not really running should I participate in races? And I’m too proud to be a walker. I’m not making any promises.

I finally finished my 2013 fitness resolutions.


Peace.

Comments

you probably did run faster. the clock starts once the race starts, so you should deduct the amount of time you waited from the time that was showing when you crossed the finish line. so if you waited for 10 minutes to cross the start line and finished with the clock saying 58:xx, then you actually ran the race in 48:xx! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Backsliding on Home

"I Itch"

Skirting the Issue