Substitutions

Peace from the Regular East!


I have been a vegetarian for a decade. Sounds a lot harder than it was. I never thought I could give up meat, but my health was begging for it so I acquiesced. I had gotten to the point where I didn't require a meat substitute to have satisfaction. I may eat a veggie burger here and there if I was out and that's all there was. I really do like those riblets that I think garden burger makes. On a bun with some raw onions and you have a sandwich tastier than the McRib. But I don't need them to hold me down.

This year the God and I finally began our cohabitation. It has been 6 months of bliss. One of many things that makes it so blissful is that he wanted to become a vegetarian. I was not planning to cook meat in my home... ever again. So it is nice for better homes and gardens that he wanted to make said change. And he has! One problem though..... He likes meat.

Like I said... I don't have a problem with faux meat if it is legitimately vegetarian. But again, I'm wondering why even bother? In these last 6 months I have made a variety of seitans. The reason we have been fixated on seitan is because the control freak in me wants to KNOW what's in the food I eat as much as I can. So we have eaten a LOT of beef-like seitan, stewed chicken seitan, sausagey seitan, there was a turky seitan at Thanksgiving and I'm planning a seitan ham next week. I have even figured a way to rig bacon and fish from tofu. Even though I have not been eating the lion's share of the faux meat (I do enjoy the tofu, though), I am still very concerned about consuming copious amounts of starch like this. It just can't be good for you. It has to be clogging. I don't think T.H.E.M. would approve of eating all this dough. Maybe this is where this pooch is coming from.

So now what? The God says he's not picky, but he's not particularly adventurous either. I don't want to discourage him or become one of the 7th Day Adventists that he remembered from his youth who served in questionable food. I want out food to be good. But not with the daily meat substitutes. It seams like we can't get through a meal without them. That's not cool.

I'm striving to remove dairy and eggs from our diets as well. I don't drink milk but cheese is a tricky devil that needs to be murdered. And eggs. I have yet to find a suitable egg replacement. A replacement needs to be the same price or cheaper. Not 5x as much. That's crazy. I have even had the never to start like scrambled eggs (in omelets) a bit!). Them egg beaters are not getting bought. And I have the nerve to bake a lot. SMH.

I don't know what to do. I don't know even if I need to do anything. But something inside just doesn't feel right. I'm not going crazy ingesting these faux meats, eggs and cheeses. But I am eating them more than I did. God isn't eating meat, but he has been overdosing (to me) on meat substitutes. I want us to live long and healthy lives. I must figure this out so I can dwell and obsesses on other things.



Peace

Comments

Althea said…
I saw your comment about Marcus (aka Have you ever seen a healthy vegan #13) and I couldn't tell if "what?..." was good or bad. You can write me back at mochaangels@aol.com.

Popular posts from this blog

Backsliding on Home

"I Itch"

Skirting the Issue