Good Bye Milk


I have made the difficult personal decision to slowly move from my vegetarian diet to a more vegan diet. ***silence*** I ain’t happy about it. I love cheese. All kinds of cheese. But I can no longer deny that dairy is dangerous. Grown folks should not do dairy because it’s un-natural for any mammal to consume dairy after weaning. It messes with the body and animals should not have to be subject to our proclivities especially when globally, there are so many more alternatives to consume. These aren’t Paleolithic times. We can import food from all over the world. At the farmer’s market there is food I’d never even heard of. This can be done, and be done in style.

I’m not going cold turkey. Probably because I enjoy food so. You don’t get how much I enjoy it. It is a sensual experience for me and I apply all the tools at my disposal to make it an enjoyable experience. Also I don’t want to be discouraged by huge limitations. I know me. If it is too aggravating and it doesn’t make me sick I’ll do it. So my plan is to give up milk products then eggs. Even though I consider myself a vegetarian I will eat fish occasionally. Never more than once a day and never twice in the same week. I’m letting that go--- let that go as well. That has been a long time coming because I let go scavengers…. And I love scavengers… in butter… with potatoes…. before last Thanksgiving.

One of the reasons why this hard for me is I don’t like to consume un-natural products, like margarine, egg replacements, stuff like that. I don’t like soy products either. Soy has some dangerous side effects when consumed regularly that I just don’t need. (Trust me, my estrogen levels are just fine) I want to keep my plate as close to nature as possible. I had a bad experience with margarine in college and I decided then to only consume natural products after that. And that’s was a funny decision at that point in my life because I ate anything. AN-NEE-THING….

I haven’t had any milk products in about 2 weeks. I tried to eat all the stuff I’d miss. Pizza, Filet-O-Fish, dairy ice cream. There is still ice-cream in the freezer. I just couldn’t finish it all. I’m not throwing it away, but I’ll pass it on to folks who still eat like that. I know this is not gonna be easy. But I know that if I stay true and stay away from this type of eating eventually my body will react strongly and violently like it did when I gave up meat for 6 months and then absent mindedly put a piece of turkey in my mouth. I was sick for 2 days off that little piece of turkey. I knew then I was done with meat. I’m looking for that with dairy, then eggs.

I'm going to look at this like it's a challenge. Anybody out there have any good substitutions?



Peace

Comments

Have you looked into raw milk from only grass fed cows? It's very hard to come by raw milk and raw milk products that come from cows that are only fed their natural diet (hard to find and sometimes expensive) so you wouldn't be able to have it as much but you might be able to tolerate it better. Also, you could stick to aged cheeses (not pasteurized) . . . also harder to come by but might be more tolerable.
Bootzey said…
I want all animal milk gone from my diet.I'm moving, slowly, toward veganism.

Popular posts from this blog

Backsliding on Home

"I Itch"

Skirting the Issue