Do you know what today is?

I have read countless blogs of folks proclaiming their 'nappy-versary'. Never thought I'd be that blogger, especially since I don't know the exact date of my nappyversary because I never did a big chop. But last year this time I did begin my locks so I can claim May (still don't remember the exact date) as my lock-aversary.

After a year of trial and error, I found a routine that works. At least until I find another routine that works. I wash my hair no more than every 3 weeks with either castille soap or a natural made for naps shampoo. No conditioner, tightening my hair with setting lotion (preferribly Lottabody) let them air dry and the occasional oiling.

I tried clarifying shampoo... Too stripping. My hair was crunchy. Conditioner kept my hair from locking. Hence my routine. Also my sister, an 18 year locker, gave me this routine and it works. I tried a bunch of lock gels too. You can find them all under my sink. I despise sitting under the dryer and this was a requirement for all of them. And I DO NOT spend big money on product anymore. You can go broke in the beauty supply store.

I have yet to go get them professionally done. There is a reason. One of many complaints I had regarding my permed hair was that I felt disconnected from it. I, religiously went to the salon every 2 weeks letting the stylist make all the decisions. Yes my hair was always fly, but I was at Hollye's and the weather's mercy. I didn't like that. Then when I relocated, I had to find a new stylist. Not a pleasant experience. One Saturday morning waited 5 hours to get into a chair, only to be burned by a careless hairdresser causing open sores the size of half dollars all up and over my scalp.... I was done. I decided then and there that I was gonna take responsibility for my hair. But most Black women have no clue how to care for our hair in it's natural state. I was no different. We are the only race that has no clue how to maintain our hair. It's not our fault. We get our 1st perm... a right of passage... before our kindergarten graduation. And no one asks any questions. No one consoles the crying child with her head on fire. We were told to suck it up. Beauty hurts. And because in this wilderness we are so miscegenated, everyone's hair is different. What works for Sallie mae, or Bonequeesha, or even Queen Earth may or may not work in my scalp. OR... this shyt pisses me off... different parts of my head have different textures! Chimmerism? Good word. Google it.

I have a course texture. I always thought my hair would take to locking like a duck to water. It didn't. Who new that my hair was soft? Woooow.... But it is and I have to make the adjustment. A friend of mine with type 3a hair has an easier time locking than I do. I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that her hair has a greater tendancy to tangle than mine. I have never benefited from a detangler. Ever. My hair is not long either. Funny. I would have thought that it would be really long by now.

So to celebrate this anniversary, I am going to by some jewelry or cowrie shells or something for my hair. I'm really happy that I made this committment.

Y'all with locks.... I would really like to here what you do and your thoughts. There is always room for tweaking.


Peace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Backsliding on Home

"I Itch"

Skirting the Issue