Spring's Coming....

I never remember the groundhog rule. As natural as I strive to be, I’m not overly confident in the natural superstitions. The newspapers said that our regional groundhog predicted an early spring. I sure hope so. I’m so ready. I do buy almanacs every year. And I have noticed that my cat is beginning to shed his winter coat. I say all this to say…. Spring is Coming!!!!

And with the coming of spring and the vernal equinox, I must prepare Serenity. Serenity prepares by fasting. I do a 3 week juice fast every year usually (for the most part) twice a year or 6 weeks total of missed days eating in a year. I started this practice in 2003. I was preparing for surgery and I had read that fasting for 3 weeks prior surgery aids in recovery. Anyone who knows me in person knows that I despise being labeled a “Punk Bitch” and will take every precaution to guard against falling into that category. So I came across fasting as a way to recover quickly from surgery. The funny thing was it gave me a weird sense of peace. A peace I had never experienced before. I liked it. And I did heal well, though not quickly from surgery. I came down with a nosocomial infection. That’s not my fault.

I decided to incorporate fasting into my lifestyle. That peaceful feeling ain’t no joke and I be wanting to feel that on a reg. And everything is crisper and more intense when you fast. Water tastes better, thoughts are clearer, sleep is sounder, sex is more luxuirant. Long term fasting is not the torture that folks think it is. You stop being hungry after the 3rd day. But them days leading into it…. Also, I have alluded to this frequently; I go ‘raw’ from equinox to equinox. I like to fast so that when I go raw, my body has been purified in preparation for it. My almanac reads that the vernal equinox begins on Friday, March 20, 2009. That is when my ‘rawness’ shall begin. 21 days from 3/20/2009 is tomorrow. Today is my “Fat Wednesday’.

I can already feel spring stirring on the inside…. My thoughts have changed to my spring wardrobe, shoes, etc. I have pulled out the toys…. The dehydrator, spiral slicer, the juicer, and the food processor. I have begun to think of roses and petunias. Planning the vegetable garden that never gets off the ground… literally. And love…. Spring is a great time to be in love. I feel like Shug Avery at the end of the Color Purple when she and Miss Celie are walking through a field of lavender wildflowers… “I Just Feels Like Sangin!”


Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Backsliding on Home

"I Itch"

Skirting the Issue