Play with your food

Peace.

I am one who cooks dinner every night. I'm old school like that. We only do fast food maybe once a month? I don't cook dinner on Tuesdays or Saturdays. Keeps me from becoming resentful. I am also one who gets bored eating the same old thing over and over again. I have been experimenting with different cultures and their food. And I have been adding some interesting things to my repertoire. I thought I'd share with you some of the foods I've made Putting an asterisk next to the food that I have never made before.

Asian Week
Fried Rice
Egg foo yung
Mongolian Veggie beef*
Curry Fish in coconut sauce
Mei Fun

I only made 1 new thing that week so it was easy

Mexican Week
Bean Burritos
Tacos
Chick-un Chimichangas*
Fish Enchiladas*

Yo! Those chimichangas were so damn good! I also made enchilada sauce for the 1st time and that isht was good too! I have visions of making a chimichanga out of Thanksgiving leftovers....

The fish enchiladas were so so. I don't like the taste of corn tortillas that much but they were drenched in enchilada sauce so there's that.

We took a week off because we thought we had to buy a new TV and just ate what was in the house. I should have called it “Broke Week”

We got back on the good foot and had...
Moroccan week
Moroccan meat cigars (made with TVP)*
7 Vegetable Couscous*
Meatballs (made with lentils)*
Moroccan Fish*
Moroccan potatoes* and Swiss steak

I feel a little more adventurous and confident to take on an entire week of new recipes. Precise liked the meat cigars more than I did. I suppose it's because they were very technique sensitive. If you choose to make them... PLEASE LET THEM COOL. I lost taste buds eating hot rolls.

South African Week was cool. Really good.
Tomato Bredie*
Bobotie*
kedgeree*
Potjie*

I'm not really sure how authentic these recipes are and by authentic I mean Black South African but still I haven't eaten it before.

This week is... Greek Week! So far... delicious. We already ate Gyros, and Pastastio*. Still have stifado* and spanikopita and some fish dish. Everything has been really delicious. But you know what's interesting? there is a similarity to all the foods.

How is a gyro different from a taco? How is a meat cigar different from a burrito or an empanada. Food like so many other things are at its core very similar. Stews, soups, breads, etc. and all used very much in the same way. Sofrito is no different from jerk seasoning or the holy trinity. They are wet spice mixes. Adobo is no different from curry or beriberi powder. A dry spice mix. Folks are just using what's local. leave it to me to get all deep and metaphysical on food.

I encourage you to play with your food.



Peace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Backsliding on Home

"I Itch"

Skirting the Issue