Gut Feelings

Peace.

I’m a little more than half way into my April Challenge of Solar Eating. I think I have it together now. It really is just a matter of planning and remembering that I’m not eating solid food at night. When I check the weather in the morning, I look at the sunrise and sunset times. That is how I determine when to start and stop. The weather also tells me what kind of food to eat that day. So It’s useful for various reason.

I don’t feel any different per se…. I have been sleeping through the night without having crazy dreams. I’m not waking up starving or anything like that. I haven’t been running much (though that is about to change) so I can’t speak on how I feel exercise-wise. The only oddity is rainy days. Those are the soup days. That’s kinda hard to remember to take it easy on those days, but I have planned and prepared with stocking up on soup. All and all…. I’m going to continue. You knew I could. I did do the T.H.E.M. How to Eat to Live for 6 months last year and was good with it.

I have been taking in at least 8 oz/day of kombucha. I’ve been experimenting with the brews. Personally I like the kombucha brewed without oxygen vs the komucha that breathes. It makes a fizzy flavorful beverage. The God likes the breathing brew. I think that one tastes more like vinegar. I only have storebought kombucha to compare it to. Depending on the brand, the storebought can taste vinegary or like soda. Some brewed that way, I have actually used as vinegar. But that’s the way he likes it. I guess it is really about preference.

I have been having stomach issues. I want to blame the kombucha. I didn’t have them before I started imbibing. ***graphic*** I have been experiencing small bouts of diarrhea, bloating, gas, sharp pin pricks in the belly and feeling that something is crawling around in my stomach. On days when I forget to drink it, the symptoms subside. But… I like the taste!

I have mentioned that I don’t trust my stomach. My father, brother and I all have/had stomach issues. When we get emotional our stomachs spazz out. My father was advised to stop eating greasy fried foods and pork waaaaaaaay back in the early 70’s. My brother and I have the same issues (our mother has a cast iron skillet for a stomach). My brother had gastric bypass surgery 3 years ago and they found some kind of micro-organism in his stomach. They had to aggressively treat him to get rid of it. They also told him his digestive flora wasn’t up to snuff. We were told it was probably genetic. BOOM! Ever since, I’ve been on the probiotics bandwagon.

I mentioned that I have mutant eczema and unrepentant iron deficient anemia. My naturopath says it could be because my stomach isn’t doing its job or is unresponsive. It does take 24 hours for food to pass through my system. (The 7’s food comes out in hours, not days.) So I am really working on reestablishing healthy gut flora. Before the summer is out I plan to make my own fermented sour krought. (I know its spelled wrong. Spell check is refusing to help.) I’m doing this to help my stomach do the job it’s supposed to.

Raise the Rod May is approaching. And I was thinking about what I planned to do. It’s all about making me a better person… I was thinking that I would go “gluten free.” Gluten could be another reason for my gastric unresponsiveness. I am allergic to grass, and gluten is a grass. Chances are…. It is plays a role. BUT…. It is sooooo hard to make big dietary changes when you are in a relationship and the other person isn’t. Precise isn’t going gluten free. And he doesn’t cook. So I would have to cook entire meals for him and completely different ones for me… on top of having to do all the other stuff I’m required to do like work, pay bills, housework, Cipher work, etc… It’s a lot. I KNOW this for a fact. When I decided to become a vegetarian, I had to live like this with my late husband. It was crazy to have to cook for him and then separately for me. I didn’t like that. I know I won’t like it here either. But it is just for a month. And if I feel better come June won’t it be worth it???

Look for my decision.


Peace

Comments

Leigh said…
Very interesting post. I haven't visited this one of your blogs (ever?) so was glad to pick this one. Not to jump on any "advice" bandwagon, but can you do dairy? I'm thinking of real (homemade, not store bought) kefir. It's full of probiotics too, but since I've been making and drinking it regularly, it has completely straightened out my digestive system. And I have so much energy! I'm assuming it's the kefir, because it's about the only change to my diet recently, except to take my coffee black now instead of with milk and sugar.
Bootzey said…
Hey Leigh! Good to see you over here. For a while this blog wasn't able to take comments. I am happy to see that I figured that one out!

I generally cannot do dairy in milk or ice cream form. I can only do small amounts of cheese cooked into something. It turns my behind into a cannon. And the cramps.... But I have not tried diary directly from an animal. I wouldn't be opposed to giving it a try. But where would I go to get a fresh product. I 'm certain that there are places in GA. But I have no clue of where or how. And store bought kefir.. I'm wary.... Now if I had goats.....

Popular posts from this blog

Backsliding on Home

"I Itch"

Skirting the Issue