What are you feeding yourself, and why?

Peace.

'Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food'
~ Hippocrates…..

That quote is not bullshit.

I am one of these people who likes to do the Knowledge to the different foods. Normally when I come up on a new food, I want to know not only how to prepare it, but what it’s good for. So I did a small experiment…. I wrote down all the ingredients for food (in this case juice, since I’m fasting) that I have been eating. From that list I researched the health benefits of each of the different foods ingested. It was very easy since I’m, right now, only ingesting fruits and vegetables.

Do you know what I found???? I finally understand what ‘healthy’ means. Natural foods are just that… healthful. These foods reduce blood pressure, prevent diabetes, reduce bad cholesterol, anticancer prevents Alzheimer’s, provide antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, and much, much more. If we ate foods in the natural unprocessed state… and by unprocessed I mean without chemical, Franken-food additives…. We could be in a state of purified bliss, with no health problems whatsoever.

So my question is, why are we NOT eating whole and unprocessed foods?

I looked at my diet pre-fast and saw that even though I am a pescatarian, I am a processed one. I eat eggs…. Fried in cooking spray and vegan sausage with a lot of ingredients that I cannot pronounce with frozen hashbrowns and a store bought English muffin. That may seem innocuous for a breakfast. But…. Everything has all manner of preservatives and fresheners in it.

The eggs are about as fresh as I will get until I start keeping chickens so I won’t talk about them. But the oil spray? What’s wrong with butter (I only use butter and not margarine or the other stuff. Tastes better)? What’s wrong with making my own oil spray? All I need is a spray bottle oil and water. I have made vegan sausage before and it was tasty, but it takes all day because it requires beans that have to be soaked for 8 hours then cooked for another few hours. But we found Boca sausage and morning star with maple syrup in it that was damn good and I didn’t have to spend hours in the kitchen cooking. I have potatoes…. Why am I not making fresh hashbrowns? I used to, but….. it’s easier to pour them in the skillet right out of a bag. And the English muffins scare me to the point I don’t eat them anymore. I made some a few years ago and they went stale in a matter of days. These store bought muffins (and why do they call them muffins?) last on the counter indefinitely…. See what I’m saying? And that’s just breakfast.

It is easier to eat the processed foods that have all the preservatives that make us ill and kill us. I am just too lazy to do anything else….

Ok… melodramatics aside. I am not a rich person. So I have to work. I don’t have the time and/or the means to just spend my entire life growing, cooking food to eat. But I find it necessary to find balance. I intend to be a really old over 100 person in my right mind with all the teeth I have right now, still moving around on my own, not taking any medications. If I’m going to be that person…. I need to put some plans in place. I need to stop being lazy and feed myself the good food that will allow me to prosper.

So with all that being said… I am going to do better with the foods I eat. I have already decided that after this fast I plan to continue juicing and having breakfast smoothies with a salad for lunch. Essentially, be raw until dinner. And allow myself to have the occasional processed dinner. I must. There is no fun in eating perfectly all the time. And I definitely appreciate fun.

Just something to think about….



Peace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Backsliding on Home

"I Itch"

Skirting the Issue