Important Running Concerns

Peace Y’all, I bet you were wondering if I was still running? I am! But there are some REALLY important things I have to build about…. MY CLOTHES! I’m a girl, such a girl…. I KNOW I need to be most concerned about my health. But I freely admit, I’m also concerned with how I look when I’m maintaining my health. And it is never more obvious than right now; since the weather is getting cold. A few weeks ago I went to run and it was cold. Cold weather presents special challenges. When it’s warm, it’s just a matter of matching my pants and top. There is nothing to that. But when it’s cold, you have to wear a hat, a jacket, possibly gloves/mittens along with the top and pants and the reflective vest. At one point I was running down the street looking like a homeless person. Nothing on me matched. I cannot have that. I run in the hood and I know I should only be concerned about the exercise. But folks look at you like you’re a thief if you don’t have the right uniform on. So I have a responsibility to myself and others to look like a “runner” when I’m running in my neighborhood. One huge complaint I have is that running gear… and I suppose all sports gear…. Is effing expensive. There is no rational reason why a pair of leggings (and that is all running tights are) should cost $200. T-shirts that are used for running and yoga to cost $95. It’s all a gaffle that I am not falling for. I sew and I can make my running clothes… But should I? The gear companies claim the reason for their prices is because they use “wicking fabrics.” A wicking fabric is a mystery fabric that claims to keep sweat off the body. Is sweat really this big a problem? I don’t see it in the cold weather, since sweat doesn’t accumulate on my body unless I stop moving. And it’s too cold to stop moving. In the summer, I don’t seem to need that either since it evaporates. I’m thinking the wicking fabric is part of the gaffle. I call these fabrics mystery fabrics because they tend not to be something that you have ever heard of before. Is there some new animal or plant giving us fabric? Also… I can’t find the fabric in the fabric stores clues me in that maybe this is something I don’t need in my life. Especially since I am allergic to synthetic fabric. So for the most part, I have been getting my “gear” at the thrift stores. I have learned that I need cotton in my life and on my skin. It is difficult and expensive to find cotton knit suitable for working out in the commercial fabric stores. I am hesitant to order it online because it is impossible to judge the quality or the color. I am caught in a proverbial web of sorts. And keep in mind that I am Earth and choose to remain 3/4ths even while I’m getting my workout on. That means no shorts….ever. That kind of interferes with what is available to me and makes my bottom line go up. I have come to learn that I prefer running tights not loose pants. And I like them to stop right under my knee. I really dislike the longer pants and tend to avoid putting them on for the tighter capris. I didn’t know that about myself. I also prefer them tight with a longer baby doll top. Also new information. I don’t usually wear babydoll/empire tops for any reason. They makes me look pregnant. But running in them feels good. I also like fleece. I'ts amazingly temperate to run in. See how isht like this makes you learn who you are and your preferences? I literally ran the soles off my last pair of sneakers. It was funny too. I bought those sneakers, maybe 6 years ago? I was planning to take up running then. I’m late. When I finally started in July I assumed sine the sneakers were barely worn, I’d be able to run in them for 6 months of consistent running. Not so much. The soles separated from the shoe on both of them at the same damn time. I glued them back on, they fell back off. So even though I plan to buy a premium pair of Nike Frees in January, I decided to get a spare pair of Saucony until them. I should have a back up pair of running shoes anyway. I have big feet and was limited in the colors I could get. Some things never change. The silver/orange sneakers I bought deserved a silver/peach new outfit to go with, right? Right! I got the hook up at Godwill… and some boots too! I also bought sewing patterns to supplement. We shall see how this plays out…
The new babies.... Peace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Backsliding on Home

"I Itch"

Skirting the Issue